Season 3 episode 49 notes
- Lloyd calls for Sophie after the exhausting training, to be taken back to his room. He says he doesn’t want his friends to see him like this. Sophie obliges and stealthily takes him back to the Military History Club and his room, where he collapses with exhaustion.
- The following day, Lloyd – after having suffered nightmares all night – gets up to meet Professor von Zweibrücken in the morning. On the way up to the tower, he meets Professor Gottlieb and Cecil – who’s been released from police custody.
- Cecil was escorted to Eisenkrone by Private Gofius, who wandered off after he’d talked a bit with Cecil and Günther. He handed over Cecil to Gottlieb.
- Lloyd and Gottlieb avoid eye contact, recalling the training. Cecil sees a flash of memory from both their minds of the gruesome training, and from Lloyd’s picturing of the killing blow in his mind.
- Victoria von Zweibrücken is instructing Hildegard in how to teach Politics, since Hildegard will be teaching Law at the school as well as Weapons Mastery. She’s told that she must be properly attired for such an important teaching position – an old suit of armor won’t do.
- Gottlieb takes Hildegard aside to speak with her about Weapons Mastery Training. Meanwhile, Clara and Erich appear – the team captains of the other Hunt teams – to speak with Professor von Zweibrücken.
- Victoria von Zweibrücken instructs the team captains to fetch a volunteer for their next task – to rescue an important noble. The volunteer will be dressed up in fancy but impractical clothes and deposited in the forest without weapons or tools for protection. The task of the team is to rescue the “noble” and bring them back to school unharmed. Victoria warns them that she will scan the volunteer’s mind afterwards to ensure there’s no cheating.
- Lloyd leaves to assemble the Military History Club and find a volunteer. Cecil stays behind to speak with Hildegard.
- Cecil and Hildegard clear the air about their recent disagreements. Hildegard promises to resume Cecils training. Cecil also expresses interest in signing up for the class in Law.
- Cecil follows Lloyd, helping him gather a club meeting.
- Down in the Military History Club, the club discusses who makes the best volunteer. It falls between Nina and Alice, but eventually the club settles on Alice since she has more experience with playing the part, which might be important in the scoring. Nina is also less comfortable wearing a very expensive dress.
- Akane petitions Cecil about teaching her his fighting style, based on rage. Cecil at first declines, but then reluctantly admits that it might be good for him to learn some about himself by teaching Akane, and so agrees.
- Cecil speaks to Gabriel, asking how Princess Sophia Charlotte is doing. Gabriel responds that the Princess spoke out against Parsifal after the incident with the Strix, but that she was largely ignored. Since then she’s been quiet, apparently afraid of not being taken seriously.
- Cecil advices Juan to go speak with the Assassins about hiding out from Shigeru there. For the moment, Juan seems content to hide in the Military History Club, but he nevertheless agrees to go speak with Anita.
- At lunchtime, Lloyd, Mashiro, Ryoko and Alice head up to Professor von Zweibrücken again. While André serves them lunch from his newly opened catering service, “Sausage-inna-bun”, she explains the rules of the challenge. Each team will be assigned a color: Gold for the Dueling Club, silver for the Alchemists, and blue for the Military History Club.
- As Alice and the other volunteers, Tomoe and Amanda, are taken away to be dressed and prepared for their roles as rescue-ees, Victoria explains the specifics. Each noble will have two flares, one to call the teachers and end the challenge, another to summon their rescuers. The second flare will be in the team’s colours. The team must ready themselves and wait for this flare – once it’s fired, they have to reach the volunteer as quickly as possible and protect them from harm. They must keep the noble safe for one entire night in the Forest, before returning them safely to the school. The noble must be well tended to, and any damage or discomfort they suffer will detract points.
- Lloyd, Ryoko and Mashiro leave to begin preparing their strategy. They decide to dress up in Britannian clothes for Alice’s sake, with Ryoko resuming her role as ninja maid and Lloyd and Mashiro as soldiers. Lloyd also gets Ralph’s help in packing all of Alice’s favorite things in three backpacks, so that they’re well equipped to tend to her.
- Ryoko keeps watch from the roof. Both the gold and silver flare go off, but it takes a long time before the blue flare fires. The three hurry off into the woods, headed for a distant point south of the school.
- Cecil, meanwhile, has been seeking out Mrs. Messerschmidt. He asks her to teach him how to fight without injuring people. Mrs. Messerschmidt says that most Teutonian fighters who do so use wrestling – she knows of only two people in the school who might know pressure-point based fighting. One is Nurse Mathilda, the other is Professor Daisuke.
- Cecil opts to seek out Professor Daisuke in his music tower, where he’s dramatically playing the pipe organ.
- Daisuke refuses to teach Cecil fighting. He’s put his past life in the ninja clans behind him, nowadays he only teaches poetry, music and language. Cecil persists, and Daisuke interprets his stubbornness as passion.
- Cecil misleads Daisuke into thinking he’s doing this out of an all-consuming love for Marissa de Ville. Convinced by the Power of Love, Daisuke agrees to teach Cecil his fighting style. He takes Cecil into a secret chamber by playing a certain melody.
- Cecil steps into a Nipponese torture chamber. Daisuke reveals the truth about his dark past – he wasn’t an assassin as most people suspect, but a torturer.
- Lloyd, Ryoko and Mashiro hurry into the forest. They come past ruins of some sort of old outpost to the south, which has been disturbed more recently by a beast of some kind. Thanks to Lloyd’s keen sense of the wilderness, they avoid it and circle around.
- Eventually, as it nears darkness, they come upon a tall iron fence similar to the one between Eisenkrone and the Forest to the north. It seems to have fulfilled a similar purpose, protecting the outpost from the Forest… but it’s long since been overgrown.
- The trio climbs a tree to get over the fence, but Ryoko triggers some kind of trap. A vine with a skull hanging from it falls down, and scares her so that she falls from the tree. Lloyd recognizes the vine as part of a Wood Spider network – the creatures have been alerted, and are coming for them…
- They hurry over the fence on the tree branch and continue. A signpost informs them that they are on a long-abandoned road that once led to the city of Frankfurt… which seems to have been lost to Storms long ago, overrun by the wilderness.
- As they hurry ahead, another flare is fired. This one comes from a small hill. They head towards it and find someone dressed in a beautiful blue dress: Amanda Edelweiss!
- Victoria von Zweibrücken used her illusion powers to deceive the volunteers. Amanda thought the Alchemy Club had been assigned blue as their team color. The other volunteers must have been switched as well – Alice is with the Dueling Club, and Tomoe with the Alchemists.
- Amanda realizes the true nature of the challenge – it isn’t about rescuing a noble, it’s about escorting a political prisoner!
~END OF SESSION~