Season 3 episode 43 notes
- Cecil is taken up to the infirmary, where he’s surrounded by his friends. As they leave him in Ryder’s care, Minami asks to stay with him and look after him. Professor Ryder approves, but as he’s quite busy in between putting down the Strix (which proved too dangerous to keep at the school) and preparing some mysterious contest, he calls in a student nurse to look after the patients as well.
- Mashiro says no to taking care of the patients, being troubled by something and worried that she doesn’t have her bodyguards. Lloyd offers to stay with her, and they do a little bit of work. As they sort out Ryder’s stack of books, she tells Lloyd what Hattori said earlier at the Storm Jesus Fan Club. Apparently Hattori listened in to her conversation with Cecil, and found out that Cecil cheated to enter the Martial Arts Tournament. Shigeru is forcing her to resign from it, or he’ll tell the whole school. He doesn’t want her to be part of this dangerous contest.
- Lloyd objects, but Mashiro already failed the retries on purpose so there’s nothing he can do. Cecil, though unconscious, becomes aware of the conversation through his telepathy powers.
- Meanwhile, Minami – noticing Cecil’s consciousness quickening – begins to communicate with him. It seems some of her memories are still locked away in Cecil’s mind, and she begins to slowly resemble herself, at least mentally. Cecil forbids her from investigating Kage more closely, however.
- While Cecil is treated by Professor Ryder over the next few days, Lloyd concentrates on his homework and painting. On Sunday, he is contacted by Zelenka who visits the Clubhouse. Zelenka explains that he fears Parsifal and that he doesn’t want to end up in trouble, but all the same he’s started to see that the enhanced perfume is a dangerous mind control drug and needs to be stopped.
- Zelenka asks Lloyd whether he can guarantee his safety if he stops supplying Parsifal with perfume. Lloyd says that he will do his best, but cannot promise anyone that they’ll be safe. Zelenka then reveals that the shipment of ingredients will be left in an unlocked cabinet in t—he Alchemy Club, and that if it should disappear, nobody could blame him for it. Then he leaves.
- That night, Lloyd disguises himself and brings the shards of the Blue Oni Mask. He enters the Alchemy Club, steals the rare flower petals that enhance the perfume, and deep-freezes them. He leaves behind a piece of the mask as a calling card.
- Lloyd spots a mysterious stranger, in disguise, moving around the school at night. She enters one of the secret tunnels, and vanishes. Though he doesn’t recognize her, he suspects it might be Heidi.
- Cecil wakes up late on Tuesday morning, mostly recovered from his injuries. After a few brief words with Minami and Wilhelmina, he dons his ghi and heads out for the Martial Arts Tournament, heedlessly ignoring any pain. Lloyd watches from the bleachers, alongside the rest of the club.
- Cecil enters the ring, which is a muddy field that’s been torn up by previous fights and by a heavy rain last night. His opponent is Gilbert von Bratt, who accosted Rei earlier. Cecil holds back, going soft on him and making sure not to injure him severely, and manages to win the fight.
- Von Bratt is led away by Ryder, who steps away as field medic after healing him and instead appoints Nurse Mathilda. Ryder makes a gesture to Sanchez, and Sanchez heads off to the bleachers, delivering a message for Lloyd. The message is to go to the old abandoned fountains, near where the forest has begun encroaching on Eisenkrone itself.
- Lloyd, puzzled, heads off, while Cecil rests and speaks some to the other fighters, including Nina and Janos. Janos comments off-hand that Nina seems to be getting close with Kain, and that he hopes it doesn’t make anyone jealous.
- Lloyd, meanwhile, is surprised to meet Erich, Clara, and the Principal. The Principal explains that they have been chosen as Team Captains for the oldest and most revered contest at the school: The Storm Beast Hunt. It’s a test to see how good they are at hunting beasts, taking care of each other, and defending the school. Competition and collaboration alike is expected of them.
- Four volunteers help out in arranging the contest: Haruhi, Sanchez, Snowdrop, and André. They bring the remaining contestants – Günther, Gloria, Agnes, Evghenia, and Ryoko. All the contestants, including the team captains, have been selected because they found a dangerous Storm Langoustine and delivered it to Ryder. But the last langoustine is still missing…
- Just then, Mashiro runs in with the last langoustine, caught in one of Andrés popcorn bags. Apparently it got loose in the bleachers and almost attacked another student, so Mashiro stopped it. It had been hiding among Andrés popcorn all along.
- Mashiro and Ryoko are appointed to Lloyd’s team.
- The Principal explains the rules. All of Eisenkrone is at their disposal for preparation, research and advice. But, once they leave for the Forbidden Forest, they must rely only on each other. They are given emergency flares in case there’s some danger they cannot handle; the Forest is forbidden for a reason, after all. This is definitely a very dangerous, potentially deadly challenge, but it’s good preparation for defeating Storms, and considered a high honor for the participants.
- Professor Ryder, collecting the langoustine from Mashiro, explains the first challenge. From the water of the fountain, he scoops up a strange, glittering fish and gives everyone a good look at it. The first task is to find another such fish and deliver it “in its most valuable form”. Ryder gives no further explanation.
- Lloyd, after wishing everyone good luck, gathers his team to talk strategy. He recalls the fish from an old Arizona James adventure novel – the Diamondfish, with power to counter raw Storm Energy and cure mutations. It has an aura of protection while alive, and when dead its liver can be made into potent oils and potions. If a person eats the whole fish, they’re all but immune to Storm Energy for a few hours.
- Ryoko says she’s read about it in one of Luke’s books, and so they resolve to return to the Military History Club to hit the books. On the way back, they meet Rei and Cecil, and go together to the Club, where Ryu has prepared lunch for all his friends.
- Ryu and André have under mysterious circumstances achieved a lot of goats, cows, and other animals. Consequently, Ryu has an ample stock of beef, and has made his signature dish: Yakiniku with lots of rice.
- Nina mentions that she’s fighting Sanchez later, and has thought of a plan to think like him. She asks Lloyd to help her make a wrestling mask. Lloyd, quickly finishing his meal, begins to sew.
- Ryoko meanwhile asks Cecil’s help to study the Diamondfish. They crack open the books and jointly learn, that the fish only lives in dark caves, where its glittering body won’t give it away to predators. It commonly lives in dangerous, Storm-infested areas, kept safe by its innate powers, usually where a stream or river feeds water into an underground lake. Lloyd recalls the building he saw in the Forest earlier, while gathering the horses. It used to be the old Gardening Club, years ago, before some botanical experiment went horribly wrong, and released tropical jungle in all directions and became overrun with Storm Monkeys. But it would have plenty of streams and rivers to feed all the plants. Lloyd suggests the fish might live there.
- Lloyd, Ryoko and Mashiro resolve to begin their search at this place, despite the danger posed by the Storm Monkeys and Storm Apes that reside in the ruins. But first, after finishing lunch, they return to the martial arts field to watch the fights.
- Rei catches up with Lloyd and asks him why he seems so troubled. Lloyd mentions that he doesn’t like the martial arts tournament, as it seems to glorify and incite violence. He understands violence is sometimes necessary, but the way this tournament is set up, it seems to foster an “Us versus Them” mentality.
- Rei mentions that she’s headed off for another date with Mikhail – he has taken up painting since quitting the newspaper, and she’s supposed to sit for one of his paintings.
- The first fight begins, between Louis Kumpel and Linda Lorenz.
- Louis is wearing a Dueling Club badge sewn onto his ghi, and the Dueling Club is rudely shouting and booing his opponent. They’re telling him to kick her ass and humiliate her. Cecil tries to offer Louis some calming words, reminding him that she’s a first year, and Lloyd counters the booing from the bleachers. Linda nevertheless loses the fight, but Louis is somewhat sportsmanlike about it, much to the disappointment of his club.
- Cecil enters the field, at this point just a muddy pit, to face Tomoe Tokugawa – Linda’s friend, but also a Dueling Club member. She seems torn about how rude her club was to her friend.
- Cecil, being the hated enemy of the Dueling Club, is booed viciously by Tomoe’s clubmates. They also heckle Tomoe, however, shouting that she’d better prove herself in this fight.
- Cecil dances around her, avoiding her attacks, until someone in the crowd shouts “Tomoe, you suck”. Cecil decides to do his best to help her. He lets Tomoe get in one good hit, bruising him, before he charges up his powerful Butler Bolt and almost knocks her out with an extreme overkill move. The crowd falls silent.
- Cecil walks away, while Tomoe’s friends rush to take care of her. Lloyd comments that Cecil made himself seem like the bad guy, to protect her and make sure nobody could say she wasn’t strong enough.
- Erich catches up with Cecil. He says that Cecil is clearly the superior fighter, on account of having been raised in Teutonia, and congratulates him on the win.
- Lloyd, meanwhile, leaves the bleachers while Cecil goes to get bandaged by Wilhelmina. Cecil realizes he’ll get in big trouble from the Dueling Club for this.
- Mashiro, realizing the same thing, asks Lloyd to call for Sophie. Mashiro asks her to please keep an eye on Cecil and make sure he’s safe. As Lloyd agrees, she takes it as an order.
- Lloyd, Ryoko, and Mashiro get dressed for the wilderness, Lloyd with a fedora and bullwhip, thus becoming “Indiana Lloyd”. Ryoko, since she’s still technically semi-bound as a maid, wears a somewhat inconvenient wilderness maid outfit, while Mashiro dresses up in khaki explorer clothes.
- The trio sets off into the Forest, headed for the depths of the jungle.
- Lloyd, Mashiro and Ryoko make their way to the
ancientkinda semi-old Gardening Club building. It’s guarded on all sides by monkeys and apes, mocking human civilization, armed with slingshots and sticks. A stream feeds into the interior, past the white picket fence covered in creepers. Ryoko scouts ahead, while Lloyd and Mashiro slip into the stream, keeping their heads down and sneaking closer.
- They are almost spotted by a monkey sentry, but Lloyd distracts it by using his wind powers to blow bananas from a tree.
- Entering the Club through an old outdoor pond fed by the stream, they rejoin Ryoko. The monkeys have gathered inside, led by their tail-less king that Lloyd and Mashiro defeated a year ago in a different part of the forest. But now they’re outnumbered, and have to keep quiet.
- Ryoko enters the pond, and they make their way through an old canal covered in grating, which once was home to various plants like water lilies and clinging vines, but is now overgrown with weeds and rotting muck. As they sneak deeper into the building, Mashiro suddenly stops. She’s turned white, feeling something slimy on her neck…
- Lloyd discovers that the underwater plants are a breeding ground for leeches, and they’re crawling all over the intruders. They find a hatch and climb out of the canal.
- Mashiro is hyperventilating and trying to contain a panic attack. Ryoko and Lloyd manage to keep their cool, and tend to her first. Lloyd, realizing the direness of the situation, doesn’t bother with modesty and uses his fire-powers to heat up a finger, burning the leeches off her bare skin.
- As Mashiro calms down, Lloyd applies similar treatment to Ryoko and himself, getting rid of the creatures. Nevertheless, they resolve to try to sneak in the corridors from here on. Avoiding monkey patrols, and hiding in alcoves and behind ancient garden gnomes, they eventually reach the greenhouse…
- The floor of the greenhouse has collapsed into an enormous sinkhole, into which all the canal water is feeding. It seems they’ve found the entrance to an underground cave. Atop the cave, however, sits a large, carnivorous plants, its roots and vines extending all over.
- Carefully, avoiding touching the plant’s roots so as to not stir it, Lloyd descends into the darkness, with Ryoko and Mashiro joining him. They look out over the caves, and see strange, luminous mushrooms in an enormous underground ecosystem…
- Cecil, meanwhile, sends Wilhelmina away while he goes to meet with Anita, summoned there over a supposed janitorial job. Evghenia has broken a window in Anita’s room, but her maids already took care of it.
- Cecil bumps into Heidi, who asks him for help with Shigeru. Cecil tells her how Mashiro is in the forest with Lloyd, and how that might make Shigeru angry or worried enough that he sends away Hattori, possibly offering an opportunity to sneak up on him or Yvain, while they’re unguarded.
- Cecil declares he will not help Heidi any further. Heidi insists that the sooner she’s done, the sooner she can disappear, and leave behind the evidence and documents Hildegard needs.
- Cecil goes to see Anita. They talk, and Cecil tells her of the opportunity to bring down Shigeru while he’s distracted. Anita, however, is frustrated and wants to do something now, to make people remember and respect her. Hearing that Cecil is in trouble with the Dueling Club, she goes with him – marking her stance against them.
- Cecil and Anita emerge on a bridge between two towers. They face von Bratt and his team of four stooges. A fight breaks out, as they try to beat Cecil up for the insolence of how he treated Tomoe.
- Cecil temporarily removes two stooges from the fight and engages with von Bratt. During the fight, however, Sophie jumps in and blocks an attack for him. Seeing this, von Bratt calls on his own maids – but Anita’s maids, with some help from Wilhelmina, block them from intervening. The fight escalates, getting more and more brutal.
- As the fight culminates, von Bratt’s perfume bottle falls out, and breaks. Overwhelmed by the mind controlling agent, he shouts “Parsifal is God!” and throws Cecil off the bridge, with killing intent. Cecil manages to slow his fall by bouncing off various bridges and parapets, but still lands hard on the ground, severely injured.
- Professor Gottlieb marches onto the scene. He saw what transpired, and turning towards von Bratt, he shouts a string of profanities at him, reverting into military commander mode. He will not stand for this dissent within the ranks!
END OF SESSION