Season 3 episode 15 notes
- Cecil and Lloyd follow the blood trail left behind by the Count, who has dragged himself up the stairs in the direction of Melody’s tower. Naimitsu disappears, to scout out the environs.
- They find Count Adlergriff holding the maid Sophie at swordpoint. He accuses her of betraying Melody and plans to kill her. Lloyd steps in, saying she’s innocent.
- The Count exchanges a few words with Lloyd before spotting Cecil. Furious, he asks whether Cecil is responsible for his daughter’s death. Cecil admits to telling Gottlieb to do the deed – but that the real Melody was dead long before they ever came here.
- An outraged Count tears down a spear from the wall and hurls it at Cecil. He is still charged up with the fighting powers he stole from Gottlieb, though tremendously injured. The spear narrowly misses.
- Cecil leaps at the Count with his lance, but is deflected and thrown out onto the balcony. Lloyd prepares to draw his sword and tries to talk the Count down.
- Naimitsu leaps in to stop the mad Count, but is interrupted by Sophie. Despite having been held hostage, she is still loyal to her master.
- The Count follows Cecil out on the balcony, slashing at him with a sword and driving him to the edge of the balcony, telling him to jump and kill himself, because the Count will keep him alive and torture him.
- Cecil looks Count Adlergriff in the eye and tells him he doomed Melody by refusing to see the Storm Madness brewing inside her. The Count is stunned by Cecil’s honesty and unwavering glare, and so he uses his Storm Eating abilities to copy Cecil’s telepathy.
- Count Adlergriff looks into Cecil’s mind and becomes aware of what happened to Melody. He hears the psychic residue of the Castle screaming in his mind, the remnants of all the people he killed, and with tears in his eyes, tells Cecil to get the priest to pray over his soul. Then with the words “mea maxima culpa”, he drives the sword through his chest and falls off the balcony.
- Naimitsu knocks Sophie unconscious and asks Lloyd to carry her to safety. Cecil and Lloyd head to fetch their classmates, while Naimitsu waits at the exit.
- Meeting up with the classmates and the teachers, they decide to move away from this horrible place, stat. Sanchez coordinates his friends in carrying Ivan and Sophie over the long distance, while the injured Cecil leans on Sanchez as they prepare to leave the castle.
- Harold appears out of the shadows. He wonders if it’s over. Upon learning that it is, he decides to assist the heroes to find their way to the village, lighting the way with his lamp. Harold informs Cecil that the only living soul unaccounted for in the castle is the priest, who has fled – he ran away as soon as Melody dies. Harold menacingly hints that he might find him later.
- The class, Gottlieb, Ivan, and Harold join up with the Count’s remaining soldiers outside.
- Harold safely guides the class through snow and sleet. He’s exceptional at finding the path down to the village. A little distance from it, though, Lloyd stops him.
- Lloyd, worried how the villagers might react to seeing the Count’s soldiers, tells his friends to wait while he hurries ahead to the village. He meets Professor Schröder outside the gates. Schröder is wearing a strange, improvised Roman Legion uniform made from an old broom, a wooden shield, and various bric-a-brac. He’s talking to himself in Latin.
- Schröder directs Lloyd to speak with Alex, inside the guardhouse.
- Lloyd informs Alex that the count is dead. Alex laments that nothing could be done to save him – he tried and tried, but in the end, had to abandon him to save the other servants, and the villagers. Either way, Alex is glad it’s over, and will willingly welcome the soldiers – they’re all children of Grimwald, after all.
- Lloyd returns to his classmates, and everyone enters the village.
- Professor Schröder addresses his students, now gathered, with a warning. He’s about to unleash his Storm Power, and has been preparing for the past day or so. Schröder explains that he channels great warriors from the past.
- Gottlieb takes a half-step back as Schröder calls up the memory of Maximus Decimus Meridius, a Roman General who fought in this area a thousand years ago. The manifestation is brief, but can be clearly seen in his voice and posture.
- The manifestation fades. Schröder explains that he has to ease into it, to not lose himself. When the Storm comes, he will fully be the old Roman general.
- Cecil is directed to go speak with the Witches, to heal the wound in his chest from the fight with the Count. Lloyd, meanwhile, makes sure Sophie is comfortable in the potato cellar – Alex doesn’t know if he can trust her, and so orders her locked up. Lloyd tells Rose to deliver his cloak to Sophie, so she can stay warm.
- Before Lloyd can see to Sophie personally, he learns that Professor Wolf has been missing. She was out setting up traps, and now she’s gone. Luzia will head out to search for her. Lloyd asks permission to go with her, and gets it.
- As Cecil goes to see the witches, Lloyd disappears out into the night along the skilled wilderness expert maid…
- Cecil heads to the witches’ cottage and meets Tilda. He says that he’s badly injured from a fight with the Count. Tilda assures him it can’t be that bad – after all, a fight with the Count should surely have ended in his death. It doesn’t seem logical that the Count would only injure him. Therefore, surely, he isn’t injured after all.
- Cecil walks away, puzzled. Somehow the wound wasn’t nearly as bad as he thought.
- Cecil returns to the common house to meet with his classmates. They’re about to settle in for the night, but it’s getting quite crowded in the building.
- For decency’s sake, it is decided that the women will sleep in one end of the house and the men in the other.
- Gloria complains about fleas, while Anita is bothered by the draft, so Cecil resolves to flip a coin for which side falls to the men and which side falls to the women. The women end up in the warm, but flea-ridden beds, while the men sleep on the furs by the drafty door.
- Sanchez promises Cecil to sleep closely together with him. His manly passionate embrace will keep his friend warm.
- Just as Cecil is about to fall asleep, someone wonders aloud where Lloyd is. Snowdrop reveals that she saw him leave the village, out into the dangerous night with Luzia. Everyone is upset.
- Bartolomeus wants to go rescue Lloyd, and Cecil has to rein him in. Meanwhile, Akane calls for Naimitsu… and discovers that she’s gone. Everyone is worried for Lloyd, who is out in the dark forest… with the Storm Beasts.
- Lloyd and Luzia sneak out of the village in the chilly night. Lloyd keeps warm by use of his Storm Powers. They follow the trail of Professor Wolf for a while, until they find her hat. It’s disconcerting as she always wears her hat, except when she’s in anthropology-mode infiltrating a culture.
- Continuing ahead, the two spot the site of a battle, seemingly between the winter wolves and the wood spiders native to the forest. Dead wood spiders litter the ground, and a single wolf is tearing into them, trying to eat the strange mutated insect meat.
- Luzia explains that this must be the runt of the litter, that eats last. The rest of the pack has moved on. Professor Wolf might be in a lot of trouble…
- Lloyd says he’ll distract the winter wolf, while Luzia sneaks past it to see if she can find the Professor. She is skeptical but agrees, thinking there’s no choice.
- Lloyd recalls his Beastmastery training with Professor Ryder, and stares down the wolf, trying to assert dominance. It goes so well that the wolf becomes friendly. Lloyd resolves to tame it, and names it Snowy.
- Snowy smells Professor Wolf’s hat, but seems frightened of it for some reason. Nonetheless he picks up a trail – so Lloyd and Luzia reconvene and follow Snowy’s lead. Along they way, they find Professor Wolf’s clothes, scattered.
- They conclude she must be suffering frostbite, and has undressed as people do when it sets in.
- Following the trail of discarded clothes, they soon come upon the lair of the snow white winter wolves. An enormous black wolf is among them, having seemingly defeated the alpha pair and asserting dominance over the pack. Snowy indicates that Professor Wolf is nearby it, in the cave that the black wolf guards.
- Lloyd resolves to save Professor Wolf. He steels himself, and establishes eye contact with the giant slavering black wolf, striding out among the pack before Luzia can stop him.
- Surprisingly, the black wolf does not attack. The rest of the pack doesn’t intervene in this challenge to the alpha. The black wolf leads Lloyd into the pitch black cave…
- Lloyd learns that the wolf is, in fact, the Professor! During her travels in Incaland, she learned the rare and exotic Storm Power of skin-walking from the natives of Texicania and Incaland. This means she can change her shape to that of an animal by using a piece of its fur.
- Lloyd is horrified to learn that Professor Wolf is basically naked. He immediately hands her her clothes.
- Professor Wolf explains that she’s been infiltrating the Winter Wolves and is trying to tame them to defend the village. It took a lot longer than expected though, and she understands that people are worried. She agrees to return to the village with Lloyd and Luzia.
- Lloyd returns, shaken at this brush with an improperly dressed person. At least the cave was dark, so he didn’t see anything inappropriate. Professor Wolf soon follows, fully dressed now (including her hat).
- Lloyd, Luzia, and Wolf return to the village. Just as they get near it, however, Luzia spots someone in the trees, and attacks. It’s Naimitsu!
- Naimitsu falls from the trees, unharmed. She explains that she was worried and came to look for them, but refuses to explain why. Avoiding the questions, she escorts the away team back to the village.
- Lloyd returns. His friends scold him mildly, but mostly everyone is relieved that he’s back.
- Professor Schröder stands on the wall, looking south. Gottlieb explains that the poor man is homesick for a ruined Rome that hasn’t existed for a millennium and a half. Channeling long dead warriors takes a toll on the psyche.
- Lloyd asks Gottlieb permission to use his Sturmmeister powers to improve the villages’ defenses in the night. Gottlieb approves it.
- Cecil goes to bed. As he falls asleep, his wandering mind reads Schröder’s thoughts, and he is filled with melancholy memories of the lost Rome, and a long-dead wife and child…
- Lloyd channels the earth, and melts the snow to make an enormous moat around the entire village. The process leaves him exhausted, and he stumbles to bed and is knocked out.
- Everyone wakes up to the sound of the village preparing. It seems as if the Storm will come today.
- The villagers are shocked and surprised at the moat that appeared overnight. They call upon the witches to explain this unknown phenomenon. Granny, as the leader of the witches, explains that it’s clearly impossible for a moat to supernaturally appear overnight because moats just don’t appear by themselves. Ergo, it didn’t just appear overnight. Ergo, the moat is perfectly natural and nobody needs to pay attention to it. The confused villagers go about their day, assuming Granny knows best.
- Cecil thanks Schröder for the memories of Maximus Decimus Meridius. He has learned an important lesson about the meaning of home.
- Lloyd and Cecil eat breakfast. Fortunately, Harold has mysteriously saved a crate of food from the Castle, which allows the villagers to eat a hearty meal for the first time in days.
- Cecil goes to see to Alice, to see if she is alright. She complains about fleas and says that she would like to take a bath, to get rid of them. Cecil, as her butler, complies with her request.
- Cecil speaks with Alex about borrowing his house – the only one with a bathtub – to heat a bath for Alice. As a former Storm Butler, Alex sympathizes with Cecil’s plight and lets him borrow the house for this one bath.
- Cecil goes to speak with Anita, to see if her maids can help Alice with dressing and drying herself, as having wet clothes in this wintery climate would be bad. Anita agrees, but only if Cecil agrees to prepare a bath for her as well.
- The situation goes out of hand. Akane and Gloria also demand a bath now that Cecil has started working on it. Cecil is unable to turn them down, and so, shaking his head, goes about heating lots and lots of water from the well…
- Lloyd goes to see to Sophie, imprisoned in the potato cellar. Luzia explains that she’s worried for her and would like to know if she is suffering Storm Madness or not.
- Lloyd, sparing Luzia the pain of seeing her old close friend succumb to Storm Madness, offers to check for her. Luzia thanks him.
- The weary old soldier Bren, who’s guarding the cellar, lets Lloyd into the potato cellar. He speaks with Sophie. She’s scared, alone, and hurt. She is worried Melody might have permanently messed with her mind, left old commands in there, deleted memories, or other horrible things.
- Sophie says she can’t trust herself. She needs to know that it will be alright.
- Lloyd doesn’t think she is suffering Storm Madness, but her concerns about mind control are worrying. He resolves to ask Cecil for help.
- Lloyd comforts Sophie, telling her everything will be all right.
- Telling Luzia that it’s safe to speak with Sophie for now, he stands guard outside the cellar while Luzia and Sophie finally get to speak again, for the first time in two years.
End of Session