Season 3 episode 38 notes
- Lloyd and Cecil meet up in the schoolyard, Lloyd after Special Training, Cecil after his conversation with Heidi. They also meet Hildegard, Captain Holstein, and surprisingly, Mrs. Hashima.
- Hildegard asks Lloyd and Cecil for information about Heidi. Cecil says nothing, but Lloyd helpfully informs her about Anita von Blankhausen being Violet’s mistress, giving Hildegard another clue for where to search. Hildegard apologizes for the deception, having pretended to already know Anita’s name.
- Mrs. Hashima approaches Cecil, asking for information about the Kushieda spy. Cecil says she should direct her questions at Anderson, but Mrs. Hashima doesn’t trust him – he’s always watching. “His eye is always upon you”, she warns Cecil.
- Cecil, running late for detention with Gottlieb, doesn’t have time to fetch his lance but hurries straight to detention. Lloyd, meanwhile, goes searching for Mr. Fried.
- Lloyd finds Mr. Fried chasing a Storm Langoustine. Mr. Fried hands off the catch to a random student, before taking Lloyd into an alcove where they can talk uninterrupted.
- Lloyd asks Mr. Fried if he can travel to Nipponia with a message for the Kyoka. Mr. Fried agrees, because he still owes Lloyd for saving him from the Britannian spy last year. He says he could even take orders straight to the Kyoka palace, so that the Kyoka troops can be properly mobilized instead of defending only the castle.
- Lloyd heads out, while Mr. Fried goes to get his affairs in order – there’s a very real risk he might die on this mission.
- Lloyd bumps into Mashiro, who’s ready to get changed for tennis training. Unfortunately, Juan de Cervantes – her current bodyguard – insists of following her even into the changing room. He claims it’s simply part of his duties, but seems to enjoy the thought of watching her change.
- Mashiro drags Lloyd into the argument, asking him to keep watch while she gets changed. Cervantes grudgingly agrees to this arrangement. Lloyd pulls out his trusty blindfold, to keep from seeing anything naughty, and uses his air and earth senses to make sure she’s safe.
- Mashiro complains about her overprotective brother, sending all these people to watch over her. It’s as if he still thinks she’s a small child. She also complains about Juan and his unwanted advances, and says she appreciates Lloyd for being so kind and understanding, and not just looking at girls as prospective girlfriends.
- Mashiro, after finishing dressing, gives Lloyd a warm hug. Lloyd is a little flustered.
- Mashiro heads out to tennis training, absolutely terrifying Juan with her tremendous speed and strength. Confident that Mashiro can look out for herself from here on, Lloyd goes to speak with Akane in the Military History Club.
- Lloyd enters the common room, where Ryu and Jacob are bickering over which pet is cutest, Usagi the terrifying mutant Storm Bear or Snowy the slavering Winter Wolf. Lloyd pets them both and makes them best friends, and Ryu and Jacob agree that they’re both terribly cute. Jacob and Ryu go off to prepare some chocolate milk for Lloyd and friends.
- Lloyd finds Akane training in the dojo. He reveals to her that there’s a way to get her orders to Kyoka lands. Akane is very grateful, knowing what a risk Lloyd is taking in sending away the school’s senior Pathfinder. She thanks him humbly and hurries off to write the orders.
- Lloyd and Akane furthermore discuss Viktor. Akane reveals that the information he stole is so sensitive that, by ancient tradition, she should commit seppuku for divulging it. Lloyd reminds her that her people follow her not because she’s great at keeping secrets, but because of who she is, and that they believe in her. Akane understands and agrees, and tries to feel less bad about her failure.
- Cecil reaches detention training with Gloria, without his lance. Gloria wears a flower in her hair, which turns out to be a gift from Parsifal – they’re dating for real now. Gloria remarks that the rose smells of him, which makes Cecil suspicious of the powerful perfume.
- Cecil tries to tell Gloria about Parsifal’s bad deeds, but to no avail. She gets increasingly annoyed with Cecil’s insult of her boyfriend.
- Soon, detention training begins. Since Cecil doesn’t have his lance, they cannot continue to rote-repeat draw their weapons, as Gottlieb had planned. So, instead, he focuses on teaching them how to honor your opponent with words.
- Gloria and Cecil compliment each other for a bit. They move on to stances and weapon-drawing, but to no avail. A frustrated Gottlieb tells them to practice formally issuing challenges, instead.
- Cecil stiffly challenges Gloria. Gloria on the other hand issues a real challenge, ”for insulting my boyfriend’s honor”. Cecil accepts – the duel is to take place in the Military History Club, right after detention.
- Cecil hurries off to the smithy, where Professor Anderson and Mr. Eriksson are cleaning up after the mess in the smithy this morning. Cecil inquires about his lance, but Anderson says he can’t have it back – not after how irresponsibly he handled it before, almost killing Lloyd.
- Cecil tells of his duel against Gloria. He has a plan, he says. Professor Anderson decides to read his mind while it goes on, for the safety of everyone involved, which Cecil consents to.
- Eriksson says he can act judge in the duel, and offers Cecil a replacement weapon, but Cecil declines. He will fight this duel with his fists, and with his mind. Eriksson warns him that at least he must fight at full power – anything else would be disrespectful to Gloria.
- Anderson tries to discern Cecil’s plans, but Cecil instead somehow ends up accidentally thinking of the list of names Viktor stole from Akane’s mind. The critical information leaks to Professor Anderson. Cecil can see the cogs turning in Anderson’s head – this information could be extremely useful.
- Cecil hurries off to duel Gloria. He meets Lloyd in the Dueling Club, while Lloyd waits for Akane to finish writing her orders.
- Ryu fears they don’t have enough chocolate milk to serve everyone, but somehow the moment Lloyd entered they found more. They thought the barrels contained just water, but almost magically, it seems to be more chocolate milk.
- Bartolomeus chats happily with Lloyd for a bit, until the duel begins. Gloria draws her sword, Cecil enters a stance. As soon as the fight begins, and the use of Storm Powers is authorized, Cecil enters Gloria’s mind and shows her all the horrible things Parsifal has done, except when he got Violet pregnat (that’s too sensitive and personal). Gloria believes it to be a distraction, but nevertheless a seed of doubt is planted…
- Gloria defeats Cecil by stabbing him in the arm after a short fight. The duel is only to first blood.
- Cecil and Gloria consider the score settled, and part ways.
- Lloyd returns to speak with Akane, receiving the orders. Akane humbly thanks him, calling him a true friend of Nipponia and a true friend of her. She obliquely mentions that, in the interest of diplomacy and all, she will soon have to search for a husband. Lloyd is oblivious.
- Lloyd takes the sealed scroll to Mr. Fried, in a broom closet. He furthermore informs him of the route to Nipponia, as well as the layout of the Kyoka castle. Fried will take the orders straight to Katsuro Kyoka, at great risk to himself – but the daimyo cannot ignore a direct order from the Empress. He will have to defend the entire coast.
- Mr. Fried laments that Eisenkrone will be without a janitor – it needs someone trustworthy, skilled, and tireless to fulfill this thankless job. Lloyd suggests Cecil, the most trustworthy and skilled person he knows. Mr. Fried agrees.
- Fried and Lloyd part ways, Mr. Fried only tarrying to spend some time with André before he departs. Lloyd reports what has transpired to Akane, and then heads up to speak with Naimitsu.
- Lloyd finds Naimitsu in a dreadful state, sleepless, clothes disheveled, and an empty sake bottle by her bed. She’s devastated by everything, the war in Nipponia and how she could go so far as to torture not one, but two young people.
- Lloyd, sensing that she doesn’t want to talk about herself right now, speaks about Cecil, saying that while Cecil has made mistakes and done some truly horrible things – even killed people – he’s still a good person, and this is evident by how remorseful he is. Cleverly telling the parable about Cecil, he gets Naimitsu to feel a little better about herself.
- Lloyd goes on to tell Naimitsu the good news – Mr. Fried is headed for Nipponia with news that could save her family, and everyone else along the coast as well. Naimitsu, overjoyed, kisses him on the cheek.
- Lloyd is shocked. Naimitsu says she will bring the good news to her daughters, and begins to tidy up her place. She’ll speak with Lloyd further at a later time.
- Lloyd leaves, blushing at the peck on his cheek…
- Cecil goes to see Professor Anderson in his office. He makes Anderson swear to erase the list of names from both their minds.
- Anderson objects that this information, in the right place and to the right contacts, could be used for so much good, steering the politics of Nipponia. Cecil sharply tells him off – this information is confidential, it’s secret, and it’s important to Akane. Therefore, they should erase it.
- Anderson erases the information from his own mind, with Cecil monitoring the process. Memory-erasing is such a hard Mindbending discipline, though, that Anderson can’t help but leak a few other memories to Cecil. Cecil sees glimpses of blood in icy water, the remote lands of Scandia, and a single conversation between Anderson and a shady individual.
- “Why should I care about this Cecil boy?” Anderson asks. “Because he’s a Kushieda”, the figure answers.
- Professor Anderson goes on to erase the memories of the names from Cecil’s mind as well. He has already removed them from Viktor’s mind, meaning Akane’s secrets are once more safe.
- Satisfied, Cecil goes to see Mr. Eriksson about borrowing a training lance, for Weapons Mastery.
- Cecil speaks to Akane, upset with her for ever doubting his intentions of erasing the information from his mind, and disappointed that she would ever think he should leak such information. He also says he has not yet forgiven her for setting him on fire. They clear the air about the information, though, and Akane learns the memories are now gone.
- Cecil reveals to Hildegard that he’s made contact with Heidi, and that he might be able to arrange a meeting… but that he won’t turn her in. He believes her story.
(Session ended mid-conversation).
END OF SESSION